The straw hat is a pure product of South-West France. In fact, Quercy is the home of French millinery.
The millinery industry began at the very end of the 18th century, when a shepherdess had the idea of weaving together reeds and straw. The first workshop was set up in Septfonds in 1798 and it grew very quickly. It used locally produced raw materials, which brought economic growth to the whole region. The industry then expanded beyond Septfonds to Caussade, which had a direct train connection to Paris.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the millinery industry provided employment for almost 3,000 people.
And now, our “Lou canotiers” business is helping to preserve this French heritage and expertise!
Lou canotiers is the only shop in France that sells nothing but straw hats.